Job Responsibilities: Transit Driver
Salary: $29.26 an hour
Company: City of Brampton
Location: Brampton, ON CA
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Take a look at what employees are working on related to our Term of Council Priorities moving us forward towards The Brampton 2040 Vision.
Join our team as a Transit Driver! This is an exciting opportunity for a customer-focused individual that is driven by the need to help others. Be an ambassador for the City of Brampton and give back to the community.
Posting number: 104280
Training salary: $25.26 per hour
Temporary salary: $29.26 per hour
Job type: Union
Hours of work: Minimum of 40 hours/week
Transit Drivers work various shifts (straight, split, days, nights, weekends, and holidays) and 5 days of the week with a typical minimum of 40 hours per week, and possible overtime offered thereafter.
The Role Involves:
- Operating a transit bus, collecting fares from clients, issuing transfers and following a pre-assigned route
- Being responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle, safety of all passengers and respect for other users of the road
- Providing high quality customer service and information to the public regarding transit routes
- Maintaining and adhering to operational schedules and abiding by Highway Traffic Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, all other applicable legislation, city policies and procedures. Documenting incidents and reports to coordinators/supervisor.
Transit driving is a rewarding career with great benefits:
- Flexible work schedule
- Competitive salaries
- Fully paid five-week training program
- Group benefits (including health and dental)
- Development opportunities for advancement to supervisory roles
- Learning and development
- Independent work
- Inclusive workplace culture where you can be yourself
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Exceptional face to face customer service
- Passionate about your community
- Effective listener and communicator with a positive attitude
- Personable and respectful of others
- Resilient when faced with difficult situations
- Calm under pressure, patient
- Effective conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
Based on previous growth over the past 5 years, temporary Transit Drivers with satisfactory performance were successful in obtaining full-time positions within 12-18 months of being hired. The current rate of pay for a full-time Transit Driver is $36.57 per hour.
To help us learn more about you, please submit your resume and a 3-Year driver’s abstract describing how you meet the following requirements.
- Completed Grade 12 education or equivalent secondary education as established by the Ontario Ministry of Education. A Canadian equivalency document is required for education obtained outside of Canada.
- 2-years of strong face to face customer service skills as demonstrated through previous work experience.
- Possession of a valid non-probationary Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence in good standing.
- A current class CZ licence in good standing, or the ability to upgrade an existing class G driver’s licence to a class CZ licence.
- 3-year driver’s abstract (with no infractions, offences, convictions, demerit points or accidents – no exceptions) dated within 4 weeks of your application.
- Previous transit bus driving experience an asset.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Able to read, understand and follow written rules and procedures along with verbal instructions combined with an ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to be resilient when faced with difficult circumstances.
- An exceptional ability to communicate effectively with a positive attitude and overcome difficult and tense customer interactions.
- Able to work all shifts, variable hours, including weekends and statutory holidays.
- In-depth knowledge of streets and locations within the City of Brampton and connecting communities.
- Able to handle physical demands of the job. Able to work outside and in all weather conditions.
- Strong time management and organizational skills. Able to work independently and as part of a team in a fast paced environment.
- Able to wear required personal protective equipment and use appropriate safety equipment to complete job tasks in a safe manner. Able to wear the required uniform.
Various tests and/or exams will be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Failure to maintain the minimum requirements for the role or to produce documentation when requested will result in the applicant being disqualified from the current recruit.
Job status: Contract
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: September 23, 2021
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by clicking the button above quoting reference # 104280 by September 23, 2021 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the job competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City of Brampton is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.