Job Responsibilities: Operations Engineer
Salary : $76,600 – $114,900 a year
Company: Amazon.com Services LLC
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (any discipline), and two years working experience in line with the role’s level of responsibility including program management.
- 2+ years experience working with the designs of automated material handling equipment, packing technologies, and systems including robotics and high-speed manufacturing
- 2+ years experience with process design based on Lean principles.
- 2+ years experience using business/technical software like MS Excel, MS Project, and AutoCAD software.
Are you excited by robotics and the latest automation technology? Would you like to be a contributing part of Amazon’s exciting growth? Do you like impacting tomorrow – today? Answer yes to any of these and you should be a part of the Robotics Operational Readiness Team.
The Robotics Operational Readiness (ROR) team will take the lead role to develop scalable deployment packages to enable Robotics Deployment Engineering (RDE) teams to deploy at scale, safely, and with high quality, spanning a broad range of technologies: Robotics, Mechatronics, Sortation, Packaging, and Mobility. This will be achieved by partnering with upstream product development teams early in the product development life cycle to drive Design for Deployment. The ROR team will identify, plan, and implement Continuous Improvement (CI) and transformational initiatives to drive a step-change in RDE deployment productivity, to enable increased capacity to deploy at scale. The ROR team will engage early in the product development life cycle by representing Technology Deployment (TD) in design reviews led by product teams. The ROR team will provide technical support to RDE onsite at a program level and assist in hardening the product design by serving as a bridge between field deployment and product design teams. ROR develops and validates Deployment Readiness Audits (DRA) tools for each product type, as part of a robust deployment package for a hand-off with training to RDE before the product moving to General Availability (GA). As ROR validates its tools and processes in field Alpha and Beta deployments, they will establish deployment KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators) & metrics used to create RDE team goals to be achieved in GA. The baseline information will be used to develop capacity models for staffing and should cost purposes. Project level execution during field alpha and beta installs is owned by Product Development and associated Launch teams. The ROR team may provide technical support concurrent with validation of their deployment packages in Alpha / Beta and iterate based on lessons learned for a scalable package hand-off to RDE in GA. ROR will also be responsible for partnering with the Learning and Development team to drive the development of training to ensure proper product deployment training.
Candidates should be capable of the integration and launch of complex automated solutions. These solutions will involve many types of automation including robotics, sortation and conveyance, controls integration, vision systems, and process development/optimization. As well have the ability to demonstrate cross-functional business and technical skills, assess and manage risks, measure and report on progress, anticipate and resolve bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs, and balance the business needs with the technical constraints.
- Support the development of scalable deployment packages to enable teams to deploy at scale, safely and with high quality for new technologies & process automation developed within Amazon encompassing both Amazon Robotics (AR) and Robotics Advanced Technologies (AT) products
- Simplify, optimize and remove bottlenecks for solutions. Able to resolve difficult system problems
- Validate stakeholder designs and customer requirements and provide feedback to resolve technical deficiencies.
- Partner with Procurement teams to define vendor sourcing strategy, supply base expansions, and partner development efforts
- Support the full review and approval of the vendor documentation required for installation and operation/maintenance, and create quality checklists to ensure vendor compliance to spec. The checklists developed will drive Quality metrics like First Pass Yield (FPY) and handoff quality to Operations (SAT) as well as safety (WHS Launch checklists)
- Lead the creation of deployment documentation which include wiki pages, checklists, training content, and DRA (Deployment Readiness Audit) checks
- Support design and innovation efforts to develop optimal solutions for the fulfillment and transportation network through equipment specification, material flow, process design, site layout, and intellectual property considerations
- Support initiatives for CI improvements to scale deployment processes for post-beta deployments, leveraging the product knowledge attained by ROR leading up to Beta. Define and validate deployment process metrics for productivity and quality, to be used as a key input to PMO (Project Management Office) resource planning
- Lead as a POC (Point of Contact) for all field experience topics from RDE, and coordinate with Product Development and other cross-functional teams to prompt problem resolution.
- Collaborate with internal teams and external vendors to generate high-quality, cost-effective solutions and deliver results on time.
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks while effectively influencing, negotiating, and communicating with internal and external business partners, contractors and vendors.
- Flexibility to travel as much as 75% to support deployment projects for Amazon’s network locations based primarily within the continental United States, as well as the Seattle Engineering Headquarters. Some international travel may also be required
- Degree in Engineering (any discipline), Math or Physical Science, and at least three years of progressively responsible experience in either design engineering, deployment, or program management field.
- Capital project management skills.
- Skilled in triage. Makes the right trade-offs between schedule, resources, and scope to deliver on the project; compiles project schedule and recommends optimal resource usage.
- Experience working with the designs of complex automated material handling equipment, packaging technologies, and systems including robotics and high-speed manufacturing.
- Design-in-Safety experience.
- Ability to operate with autonomy with little oversight or direction
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or another legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
P under the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Under the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Columbia, SC: This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.
The pay range for this position in Colorado is $76,600-$114,900/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on the market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon’s internal or external careers site.