Job Responsibilities: Customer Service Representative – Work From Home
Company: UnitedHealth Group
Location: Remote US
Educational requirements: High School
If you are located within the Central or Eastern time zone, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* (work from home) as you take on some tough challenges.
Even if you have no prior experience, we have training classes starting soon to help you build the successful career that you want – apply today! We provide the support and structure, you provide the interest and motivation.
You like working with people. Even more so, you like helping them. This is your chance to join a team dedicated to helping our members and their families every day. In this joint role as a Customer Service Representative, you’ll join us on a mission to not only deliver the best customer service in the health care industry but the best customer service. Period. Your compassion and customer service expertise combined with our support, training, and development will ensure your success. This is no small opportunity. This is where you can bring your compassion for others while doing your life’s best work. SM
In this role, you play a critical role in creating a quality experience for the callers that you connect with and those that you correspond with. Every interaction gives you that opportunity to improve the lives of our customers and exceed their expectations. You’ll spend the majority of your day responding to calls from our members and help answer questions and resolve issues regarding health care eligibility, claims, and payments. You’ll also spend a portion of your time reviewing, researching, and processing healthcare claims to ensure that every claim has a fair and thorough review.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday – Friday. Employees are required to have the flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 8:00 am – 6:00 pm EST. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime. The hours during training will be 8:00 am to 4:30 pm EST, Monday – Friday.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Answer incoming phone calls from customers and identify the type of assistance the customer needs (i.e. benefit and eligibility, billing and payments, authorizations for treatment, and explanation of benefits (EOBs)
- Ask appropriate questions and listen actively to identify specific questions or issues while documenting required information in computer systems
- Own problem through to resolution on behalf of the customer in real-time or through comprehensive and timely follow-up with the member
- Review and research incoming healthcare claims from members and providers (doctors, clinics, etc) by navigating multiple computer systems and platforms and verifies the data/information necessary for processing (e.g. pricing, prior authorizations, applicable benefits)
- Ensure that the proper benefits are applied to each claim by using the appropriate processes and procedures (e.g. claims processing policies and procedures, grievance procedures, state mandates, CMS/Medicare guidelines, benefit plan documents/certificates)
- Communicate and collaborate with members and providers to resolve issues, using clear, simple language to ensure understanding
- Meet the performance goals established for the position in the areas of efficiency, accuracy, quality, member satisfaction, and attendance
This role is equally challenging and rewarding. You’ll interact with providers with the intent to develop a relationship with them. Within a high-volume setting, you’ll need to develop knowledge of our various products and multiple levels of benefits within each product to best assist our providers/customers.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you a clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher) OR 10+ years of equivalent working experience
- All new hires will be required to complete the Customer Service training classes and demonstrate proficiency in the material
- Ability to work regularly scheduled shifts within our hours of operation including the training period, where lunches and breaks are scheduled, with the flexibility to adjust daily schedule, and work over-time and/or weekends, as needed
- 1+ years prior experience in an office setting, call center setting, or phone support role
- Reside within the Central or Eastern time zone
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
- Demonstrated ability to quickly build rapport and compassionately respond to customers by identifying and exceeding customer expectations (responding in a respectful, timely manner, consistently meeting commitments)
- Demonstrated ability to listen skillfully, collect relevant information, determine immediate requests and identify the current and future needs of the member
- A proficient problem-solving approach to quickly assess the current state and formulate recommendations
- Proficient in translating healthcare-related jargon and complex processes into simple, step-by-step instructions customers can understand and act upon
- Flexibility to customize the approach to meet all types of member communication styles and personalities
- Proficient conflict management skills to include the ability to resolve issues in a stressful situation and demonstrating personal resilience
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience are different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience, and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation, and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we’re presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn’t imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you’ll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You’ll help write the next chapter in the history of healthcare. And you’ll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life’s best work. SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: customer service representative, customer service, CSR, UnitedHealth Group, call center, UnitedHealthcare, health care, office, phone support, training class, admin, clerk, cashier, retail, entry-level, retail sales, hostess, waitress/waiter, work at home, work from home, WAH, WFH, remote, telecommute, hiring immediately, #RPO